Tomorrow I turn 23. 1 year out of college and in the “Real World”. I’ve had 5 pretty-interesting jobs, bought a car, been proposed to, lived in 4 different places, bought a house, found an awesome church, and lost 5 pounds.
23 Lessons from my 23rd Year:
1. Don’t ever do a job or a volunteer position that you don’t want to do. I never have. The world is too big, and we are too young and responsibility-free to settle.
2. It is possible to be on a laptop while driving.
3. Taking vitamins will change your life.
4. Time really does fly.
5. DO volunteer. Make friends with those who have less than you. Not only because you may be able to help them, but because you probably need a weekly reality check.
6. Don’t ever wear heels if you’ll potentially have to be on the roadside for an extended period of time.
7. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
8. Wrinkle Release is THE S***!
9. Nobody’s too big to fail.
10. Low-Carb Monster Energy is cheaper if bought in bulk at Sam’s Club.
11. Female family members do inquire about your love-life on a more consistent and urgent basis after college graduation.
12. Shop IKEA and World Market for home goods. (IKEA has really good cinnamon rolls.)
13. Droid > Blackberry
14. Have people around that will CALL you out.
15. Make the trip just to see the Dallas Cowboys stadium-awesome.
16. It’s Okay to buy a homeless guy a beer. “It is not for kings, O Lemuel-not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, lest they drink and forget what the law decrees, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights. Give beer to those who are perishing, and wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more. “-Proverbs 31:4-7. If I was outside scrambling around all day, I would want a beer too.
17. If a company stops manufacturing a car, don’t buy one of the last cars. If it breaks, parts are a freaking pain to get.
18. Finding good employees is tough.
19. Ask yourself why you do what you do. If you can promote positive change more effectively elsewhere, GET OUT. I am constantly impressed by the passion some have for a specific issue or cause. It’s sad when people don’t see equal results for what they put in.
20. Crying does actually help with speeding tickets.
21. If you have to carry around a helium tank, it’s worth it to splurge on the more expensive duct-tape to hold it in place.
22. Verizon “Authorized Retailers” are not real Verizon stores, and they will screw you.
23. It’s never too early to invest.